Great editor.. would like to set some of the other particle features as well such as alpha over time etc. This would be a super tool if it supported all of the GMS2 particle options
A downloadable tool for Windows and macOS
GEON FX is the most advanced Particle Editor for GameMaker Studio 1-2. Which can also export effects to other engines via PNG sequences and GIFs.
Geon FX allows you to quickly create stunning particle effects on Windows and macOS.
It is developed by professionals with more than 15 years of experience. And comes with a set of scripts for GameMaker to play complex particle effects easily.
- For Windows and macOS
- Modern UI: angle picker, alpha slider and more other handy tools
- Supports all GameMaker: Studio and GameMaker Studio 2 particle functions including part_type_death() and part_type_step()
- Add infinite number of emitters and change their depth by swapping tabs
- Resize emitters and move altogether or one by one
- Load animated external sprites from strips or folders. Set origins and animation properties.
- Load background, move and tile it
- Resize or maximize editor window freely
- Undo and Redo your actions (Ctrl+Z / Ctrl+Y)
- GIF, PNG Sequence and GML Export
- Add and play complex effects easily: geon_effect_add(), geon_effect_burst() and other functions included
- Free support and Updates
- Discord Server: https://discord.gg/JJpnRuv
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/steampanic
- YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLURgy8kNiTRF5xkHsKhlKXuWMm0X9PYoc
- Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/LYxoIQ5T
Changes in v1.3
New Editor Features
- PNG Sequence and GIF Export! Press F9
- Import from GML: c_red and other color constants are correctly imported now
- No annoying "...is not in the PS list. Add it?" message
- Various bugfixes (see Trello for more info)
Geon FX scripts update
- HTML5 platform export fixes — Geon FX runtime should work fine on HTML5
Changes in v1.2
New Editor Features
- macOS editor now works fine on the latest macOS Mojave
- macOS editor now supports all Windows editor features
- macOS editor is properly signed now and shouldn't be added to the quarantine
- GML Import (import your effect code to see it in the editor)
- Loading sprites from project folder if couldn't find them
- Setting a sprite folder for sprites used in the effect
- Asking for the sprite folder if couldn't find one
- Fixed effect draw order
- Fixed wrong emitter forms
- Other bugfixes and optimizations
Geon FX scripts update
- GameMaker Studio 2.2.2+ is fully supported now
- geon_effect_add() now supports a sprite array to replace default effect sprites
- geon_effect_burst() and geon_effect_stream() functions now allow to set direction and speed of the effect in realtime
Changes in v1.1b
- Hotfix for saving project file wherever you want;
- External background should move freely now (Ctrl + RMB).
Changes in v1.0b
COMPLETELY REWRITTEN NEW AND FAST EDITOR
- Completely rewritten in GMS (faster rendering using DX9)
- Zoom In and Out feature
- HEX color is now available for GML export (switch in Settings window)
- Destroying Emitters in GML Export code
- Particle effects should run exactly as in GMS1 and GMS2 runners
- Precision fix (0.01 are allowed now)
- Set Default Printer or Stop Spoolsv.exe bugfix is not needed anymore (hooray!)
- Lots of bugfixes
Geon FX scripts update
- GameMaker Studio 2 asset is now available for download
- All scripts are now in the asset and well annotated
Changes in 0.9.0
New Editor Features
- GameMaker Studio 2 built-in shapes are supported now
- GameMaker Studio 2 GML export
- Settings Window
- Press TAB key to scroll through input fields
- Inputting .1 instead of 0.1 is now also allowed
- Click on the input field now always selects all input field contents
- Ctrl + D (or Command + D) to change any effect's depth
- Ctrl + R (or Command + R) to rename any effect
- Ctrl + T (or Command + T) to add new effect
- Double-clicking the emitter tab to change emitter's name
- Minor bug fixes
Geon FX scripts update
- GameMaker Studio 2 support
- YoYoCompiler support
- Backward compatibility for GMS particles in GMS 2
- More memory optimizations
Changes in 0.8.8
- New Helloween effects pack included
- Background image name, x, y are saved to .geon file now
- Emitter anchor point position is saved to .geon file too
- Background color is saved to Editor INI
- Duplicate effect function works correctly now
In order to download this tool you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $9.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
There is an alpha over time feature (screenshot attached):
The editor should support all of the GMS2 features.
Could you tell us what does the editor miss?
good particle editor
Is there a way to change how many color "steps" or alpha "steps" a particle type has, or is it always just 3?
We planned to add 1-2 options, but 3 is max and the only option for now.
Where could I download the Pro Version????
Pro version is included in the package. Lite version is for free and can't export particles. Pro version is what you pay for.
Im getting very high cpu load (~50%), when running 1.3.2. Is this usual? Odd thing is i tried the Lite version and that behaves as expected. Any help would be great.
Does the light version have the same version number? I guess I should add V-Sync or Sleep Sync switch option. The first one is in the demo, the second one in the full version. Some machines handle 1 better, others 2.
why cant I use uppercase letters for prefixes?
I usually start my globals with an uppecase
btw the option is a great idea :D
UI is super tiny on 4k
Thanks for mentioning it! I'll investigate the issue and fix it (if confirmed) in the next update. Added to Trello: https://trello.com/c/52xPknSI/94-add-ui-scale-for-4k-displays
Got this on yoyo marketplace a while back and I love it, but I have one request- in the spot where you can change the size gain of the particle, the program doesn't allow a negative number. So if I want a particle to shrink into nothingness, I have to manually change the GML code after exporting. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to be able to preview the shrinking particles.
Thanks for buying Geon FX!
I'll add the feature to the next update.
I've double-checked. Negative numbers work fine in Geon FX 1.3 on Windows.
When trying to run this on my iMac, it fails to run and I receive an error stating, "Unable to find game."
It's been 2 months. still not functioning. still no reply.
I was going to make my own particle designer but after trying Geon FX what's the point. Everthing I wanted from a particle designer and more. Awesome stuff.
i'm having a annoying bug with geon FX, whenever I open an existing project, and then close the program, the project file is automatically deleted from my drive, if I choose to not save changes the project is just lost (while I would expect the file to just remain as it is like any other program does)
Sorry for that, I'll discover what's wrong and release an update asap. Thanks for reporting.
Using this in GMS2 for some time now and it's very good :)
A huge addition would be the possibility to export a sequence as a sprite sheet to make some particles follow an object
Thanks! Working on Export to GIF and Sprite sheet options.
You can make particles follow an object. Please examine the example.
Will the update be coming to yoyogames marketplace?
Yes, it's there already.
A year ago, I asked if this would work with a couple of engines that I use. Finaly, I decided to try and learn GMS (I'm using vers 1.4.x). So I'm gonna acquire this tool. That said I have a couple of questions if you do not mind.
1- You said you were working on gif and png exports, is it implemented now or still being developped?
2- The user @GodLabs Studios asked about a way to implement the work he/she has done in Geon-FX in his existent project and you seem to have provide help. But it seems that the file need (unless i misunderstood) is on yoyo market , not here on itch. Does it mean I would have to go there to acquire that file?
3- Is the tool still under developement for 1.4 or are you focusing on 2 only? (I have no intention to acquire GM2 at the moment, so I want to make sure that GMS is still well supported).
Thanks for your time.
Thanks for your interest in Geon FX!
- There is a first touch on PNG export in the newest update of Geon FX (press F9). But we are still working on it.
- Everything you need is here. Even the Geon_FX_-_Particle_Editor.gmez asset from Marketplace. Just import it into your project. You don't have to acquire any additional stuff.
- GMS1 and GMS2 are both fully supported. No limitations.
I will be happy to assist you with any questions.
I have purchased the software and find it very cool and was messing about changing the included fxs and saving the changes to the geon file the editor seems to save the geon file but on going to load the changed geon file it's not where I saved it .
G:\Geon_FX_Pro_v1_0b_Win\Effects\100\100.geon = original file
I would change it and save it as
G:\Geon_FX_Pro_v1_0b_Win\Effects\100\100mod.geon but file is not saved here .
Instead it is saved in
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Geon_FX_Editor which is not expected as path is shown as above.
I have Win 10 if that helps.
Thanks for report! Working on it. Please subscribe for updates.
Fixed. Please update.
Hi. I'm sorry, I've not been on the site for a while. Were you posting this to someone else? It is not anything I am familiar with.
I bought the softwar and used the particle creator, it's really cool and made some cool effects with it. Awesome Stuff! Once done I used the export to GMS 2 option and got the GML code.
I am unable to figure out how to use these particles inside GMS 2. The included gmz file is a complete project but I want to use GeonFX in my previously made projects, and in documentation it says to add gmez extension but that file is not available?
It's likely that I am missing something very basic.
Can you please help me with this?
Thank you for buying Geon FX! You can export particles to GML and put them into your code:Just copy and paste the code into your project. The extension is provided via the GameMaker: Marketplace. I'll add it here too for your comfort.
I am not able to link my itch.io purchase to Game Maker Marketplace. And it's asking me to purchase again.
Can you please add the extension on itch.io download page? That would be really helpful!
Any chance to have it for 001 Game Creator, GDevelop and Godot? Those are the engines I'm currently using.
Hi, I will have to take a look how much different their formats are and how to convert to them. What about built-in editors for those engines? Do they suck? I'm working on export to GIF and PNG strip right now.
Hi and thanks for your reply.
Honestly, I'm not a programmer, I'm a multimedia designer with my main focus on game art. So I don't use those engines often. I have them because I'm learning my way around (when I have some free time) and because the programmers I'm working with at the moments use them, so I need them for testing my assets, etc. I can't tell you much about how good their build-in editors are compared to GMS for example. Godot and Gdevelop are FOSS so you can download them and see. For 001 it's proprietary but they have a demo version (I think) so you can try that too. Anyway those three engines lacks stuffs like GeonFX, so I think it's almost a "open" market for you. You should take your chances ^_^. Ren'Py also being very popular, maybe you might wanna check that too.
I have bought GMS 1.4, two or three years ago, but I doubt I'll use it since I'm quite bad at coding, that mean I might not (maybe I'll change my mind later) aquire GeonFX for now.
Any chance you could make it compatible for Construct 2 or Clickteam Fusion?